Primary and SEND expected to benefit from Government spending round
Wednesday, August 28, 2019
Leaked official papers indicate £2.8bn will be invested in schools, and £800m for children with special educational needs.
Increased funding for primary schools and special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) is expected to be addressed in the next Government spending round, which has been pulled forward to 4 September 2019, it was announced today.
According to leaked official documents seen by the Guardian, £2.8bn will be invested in primary and secondary schools up to the age of 16, and £800m will be found for children with special educational needs and disabilities.
The leaked paper also outlines plans to increase teachers’ basic pay, with starting salaries rising to £30,000 by 2022.
Last year, the Institute for Fiscal Studies estimated per pupil finding had been cut by 4 per cent since 2015, after a freeze was imposed by the Government. It estimated that nearly £2bn would be required to return school funding to the levels experienced in 2015.
Speaking about the upcoming review in an article for The Telegraph, Sajid Javid said: ‘Thanks to the hard work of the British people over the last decade, we can afford to spend more on the people’s priorities, without breaking the rules around what the Government should spend, and we’ll do that in a few key areas like schools, hospitals and police.
‘Health and education aren't just the names of departments - they're lifelines of opportunity, just as they were for me.’
No mention of increased early years funding
Significantly, there was no mention of any additional funding for the early years sector in the leaked papers.
Neil Leitch, chief executive of the Early Years Alliance, said: 'We are extremely concerned that early years education failed to get a mention at all in the leaked Government document about schools funding. The sector, which is responsible for educating and caring for children at the most important stage in their development, is in the midst of a funding crisis.
'If Government doesn’t invest properly in this sector now, childcare providers will continue to close their doors for good, reducing the number of Government funded places and potentially denying parents the opportunity to work. The silence in the face of a £662 million shortfall in Government funding is incomprehensible and needs to be addressed urgently.'