16 August 2018
All you need is a selection of smooth pebbles to make excellent props for storytelling. Link them to themes by making simple drawings and marks, and discover how children use them as reference points.
- Several sets of story stones presented in an attractive manner.
- Blank stones
- Permanent markers, chalk, pencils, charcoal sticks
- Stickers, magazine pictures,fabric with pictures
- Yellow Door supplies a range of pebbles (pictured) https://www.yellow-door.net/?s=stones
Story stones consist of a set of smooth stones, each with a picture either drawn, painted or stuck on. They can be specific to a story, themed, or a random set of possibilities. It is possible to buy sets but making them means they can be tailored to the children’s interests and play. Story stones are a wonderful prompt for story-telling, versatile, and easy to make. The weight and feel of a large stone or rounded pebble in the hand is a sensory experience which connects the storyteller to nature.
Register now to get access to more of our great articles.
Thank you for visiting Early Years Educator and making use of our archive of expert features, practical activity ideas and news. Why not register today and the enjoy the following great benefits:
- Weekly email newsletters, providing you themed activity ideas, topical features and news
- Unlimited access to news and selected features.
- Access to 4 free articles per month from our practical database.